Monday, May 26, 2008

Doc, Friends, and the DBS Wonderboys


PACEMAKER FOR THE BRAIN: DOC, FRIENDS, AND THE DBS WONDER BOYS


"The single biggest reason people don't have surgery is fear". (James Gregory Bonen, Memorial Hermann Physicians Advance, a2)

Come along with a 67 year old who found his way through the maze and in the process found that as FDR once said, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself". That's a slight exaggeration, but I honestly felt little or no fear during the process. But then again, I had my friends, family, and the wonder boys to carry me through. These neuro-geniuses were an outstanding team, and, from day one, I trusted them, their staff, and SHANDS Medical Center. By the way, the "Doc" in the title is me. Over 30 years ago, a friend gave me that nickname because of my Ph.D. I'm Doc to all my family, including my eight grandchildren.

I know that I was choosing "elective brain surgery" which, when you think about it, sounds pretty stupid. The "wonder boys", Drs. Michael Okun and Kelly Foote, gave me a look and decided to treat me with a different concoction of medication first. The medication helped some, but I ultimately chose surgery. Why? they initially asked. I answered, "mainly to save my wife from possible years of bed pans, wiping my butt, feeding me, etc." I'd seen her do this for three years for her mother, and, to a lesser extent, her dad. As a friend said one night as I stepped away from the card table, "Nancy, he's not going to get better, he'll only get worse." When I adequately communicated this to Dr. Okun, he was ready to "fast track" me for DBS. There was no hesitation on my part...it was fish or cut bait. And, so I decided to fish.

I'd like to share my story with you in hopes that it will help answer some questions for people who are curious about or considering DBS. I can only tell you about what it has done in my life to this point. It has been an amazing ride and I hope that in some way, my experience will help you.

No comments: