Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Battery Pack and more


STEP 2 SURGERY

Time passed quickly and the week of surgery approached. After going through a day of pre-op very similar to that which occurred during the first surgery, I prepared for the day. I would thankfully be put to sleep for the three incisions Dr. Foote would make. One is on the side of my head where the wires had been stored. One is behind my ear at the hairline, and one is on my chest where the battery and stimulator are implanted.

The surgery went like clockwork, and before I knew it, I was in the recovery room again. I experienced post operative pain, which is to be expected. I took pain medication and then experienced some reactions.

When the physician's assistant had the opportunity to leave emergency surgery and come to the recovery room to program the stimulator for the first time, I experienced a weird sensation. The fallout from the percoset made me believe that I was in a spastic optometrist's office with him flipping through the possible lens strengths at a frantic pace. Thankfully, Nancy was there to explain the pain medication reaction. As the medication wore off, Pam Martin was able to program the stimulator without problem.

We stayed in Gainesville for 6 more days for the first adjustment. I had some uncomfortable nights on the pillow with the two incisions on my head, especially the one at the hairline. I dutifully did the neck exercises prescribed to prevent stiffness and future immobility.

I was excited and also nervous as the first adjustment time approached. Wonder if it doesn't work? We arrived early to fill out several questionnaires that are to be used in the research. We were met by Dr. Irene Malaty and a visiting neurologist from Israel who was there to specifically observe the Okun-Foote process. He mentioned that he believed their process was superior to the practices in Tel Aviv where the patient is completely anesthetized, the entire process is completed at one time and the stimulator is not turned on for a month. My immediate thought was one of thankfulness for the Okun-Foote process.

THE FIRST ADJUSTMENT

Dr. Malaty began the tune up process and spent a large portion of two hours testing my rigidity to the different selected amps. She kept asking if I felt any pulling or tingling as the amps were increased. I did not! This seemed to be very good news for her and Dr. Okun, for as Michael said, "we have lots of room for adjustment." We also discussed a reduction in medication which will be gradual as the 5 projected adjustments are completed. At this point, sinemet has been reduced by 20% and requip by nearly 50%. The side effects-toe curling and tongue out of my mouth have decreased some, but, in other ways, my balance, gait, rigidity, and general feelings of good health have improved. My off-time is almost nonexistent. this is a great beginning!

THE SECOND ADJUSTMENT

My second adjustment occurred just a few weeks later, and again, the stimulator was adjusted upward. Pam Zeilman, the DBS adjustor guru, also talked to us about medication adjustment. She and Dr. Okun have talked to us about being scientists in determining the best combination of drugs to ensure that Alan can feel his best. After a little bit of adjustment to suggested medications, we resumed our lives, even taking a week-long trip to the Washington, DC area to visit with two of our daughters and their families.

SUCCESSIVE ADJUSTMENTS

Our third adjustment was last week. Again, the stimulator was adjusted upward. We're half way through the adjustments (once a month for the six months following surgery), and we're feeling that this is a good thing!

No comments: